Comfort Food for Cold Weather
The past couple of weekends have been cold and wet. Fall has crept upon me like a sneaky child up to no good. My body doesn't tend to do well in this type of weather due to painful, chronic illnesses that we'll chat about in future blog posts. So, the only thing I crave is comfort food. Two weeks ago I made a delicious turkey chili with cornbread muffins. This week I made homemade chicken noodle soup in the crockpot.
I absolutely LOVE a crockpot. If I can figure out a recipe to throw food in for the week without getting too redundant, I absolutely will! Since I do claim to be a "foodie" first, then a novice chef I thought I'd share my quick and easy recipe with you. I'm known for taking a recipe and putting my own twist on it. So if you come up with something different and unique to do to this one, share it with us! I'd love to hear about it!
INGREDIENTS: (Note - Adjust for the size of your crockpot)
1-2 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or use chicken tenders)
2 cups carrots, peeled & chopped (or use 1/2 to 1 small bag of baby carrots)
1/2 to 1 medium yellow onion, diced
3 stalks celery, chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1-2 bay leaves
4-5 cups of chicken broth
Add water if needed
Salt and pepper to taste
2 cups uncooked egg noodles
3 Tablespoons chopped parsley (optional)
- Place the chicken on the bottom of the crock pot and then top with carrots, onion, celery, garlic, olive oil, thyme and bay leaf
2. Next add chicken broth (and any water), then season with salt and pepper to taste. I also threw in some Goya seasoning and garlic salt. Feel free to use any other seasonings you like.
3. Cover and cook on low heat for 6-7 hours.
4. Remove chicken breasts and cut into bite sized pieces. Place chicken back into the crockpot. Now, add in egg noodles and parsley (optional). Also optional is squeezing the fresh juice of a lemon. Cover again and cook another 5-10 minutes until noodle are tender.
5. Serve and enjoy with your favorite crackers, grilled cheese sandwich, salad, or whatever you choose to enjoy this yummylicious soup with!